DEVELOPING A PERSONAL QUIET TIME
(from a 1980’s Wiser Lake Chapel Bulletin during Pastor Bruce Hemple’s ministry days)
saved by Russ Unrein
A personal quiet time is that measure of time given to meditation, prayer, Bible reading and sharing with god through Jesus Christ. It’s precious time for it is sacred time with God.
The Christian spends this time with god to know his God. “It’s quite natural that if we spend 16 hours daily of our waking life in thinking about the affairs of the world, and five minutes in thinking about God, this world will seem 200 times more real to us than God.” ~Dean Inge
The problem with the average Christian’s prayer life is that it lacks consistency. Yet, a look at Scripture reveals that a prayer habit is essential to power with God. Daniel prayed three times a day from his chambers, David prayed morning, noon and evening. Jesus sought the solitude of the hills for prayer.
God’s fine servants are persons of great prayer.
- Prayer will make you more like Jesus.
- Daily prayer will lead to a glimpse of God’s glory.
- A daily prayer habit will nourish your spirits.
- Prayer will teach us wise use of our time. Prayer, in the truest sense, does not really take time, it saves time.
Good habits to develop
- When you awake, let God’s presence fill your thoughts. Successful is the day whose first victory is won by prayer. Holy is the day when dawn finds you on the mountain. Health is established in the morning. The light is brightest in the morning. (Joseph Parker)
- Find a specific time for prayer daily. We need time for prayer, unhurried time, daily time, time enough to forget about how much time it is. The one who does not make time for prayer will never find time to pray.( S.D. Gorden) World Literature Crusade suggests a minimum of 15 minutes per day. And strongly recommends an hour or more.
- Use a prayer list. Perhaps your most important list. It keeps before you, needs, concerns, people, projects and causes worthy of prayer. It’s a tool which helps make prayer more intelligent. As you pray for all these specific needs, god’s love for them will; fill your heart.
- Continue to pray though out the day. Pray momentarily (short prayers) for people who come into your thoughts during the day. Offer praise to God though out the day. Pray immediately for anyone or any cause that has need. The Bible says: “Pray without ceasing.” I Thess. 5:17 it means to pray spontaneously.
- Spend enough time praying to really meet God.
- At times pray out loud.
- Pray for a moment every hour. It will keep you in the spirit of prayer throughout the day.
WE CAN CHANGE TRHE WORLD THOUGH SYSTEMATIC PRAYER
- Develop the Prayer Habit.
Daniel was most faithful in prayer.
- Develop a prayer program.
HOW TO SPEND AN HOUR IN PRAYER.
Praise – 5 minutes
Be Still – 5 minutes
Confession – 5 minutes
Read the Word – 5 minutes
Asking – 5 minutes
Pray for others – 5 minutes
Pray the Word – 5 minutes
Thanksgiving – 5 minutes
Sing – 5 minutes
Meditation – 5 minutes
Listen to God – 5 minutes
Praise – 5 minutes
LET PRAYER BE SYSTEMATIC, ORGANIZED AND SPECIFIC.
“I looked for a man among them, who would build up the wall, and stand before me in the gap on behalf of the land, so I would not have to destroy it, but I found none.” Ezekiel 22:30
IN THE PRAYER CLOSET, REMEMBER:
- “ Ye are the temple of the living God; as God has said, I will dwell in them, and I will walk in them; and I will be their God.” I Cor 6:16
- “God answers prayer.” Matt 7:8
- “Greater is He that is in you than he who is in the world.” I John 4:4
- “Resist the devil and he will flee from you.” James 4:7
- “I perceive that God is no respecter of persons.” Acts 10:34
- Do everything that Jesus would have you to do. Learn from Him and pray daily.
- “Seek first the Kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you.” Matt 6:33
- Trust God completely. Proverbs 3:6
MAKE YOUR PRAYER LIST.
PERSONAL NEEDS FRIENDS, LOVED ONES WORLD NEEDS